Nice is a very interesting place to visit, with both easy access to the sunny Mediterranean and plenty to amuse you in the town when you can’t bear the sea any longer…
It is also the most visited resort on the French Riviera and the most important city (apologies to Marseille but that is a little way outside the French riviera!).
While we can't hope to present all the highlights here, the highlights in Nice include:
- the Promenade des Anglais, a long established walk along the seafront. For several kilometres, with the beach to one side and impressive houses and hotels to the other, this is one of the most famous 'promenades' in the world and busy night and day with walkers, cyclists and joggers. Note that the further you are from the center of Nice the less impressive the buildings and beach become.
- the little cottages behind the harbour on the seafront in the town – once little storage sheds they are now glamorous boutiques and restaurants
- the market on Cours Saleya, just behind the Promenade des Anglais and the cottages, this colourful market specialises in flowers. The buildings around the square are also very traditional 'Provencal'
- the cathedral and pedestrianised squares in the older part of the town, as well as the many narrow alleys that explore this historic region of the city. Often several stories high these also have the advantage of providing some shade from the summer sun
- the sophisticated Cimiez region to the north of Nice and the impressive Matisse museum
- the hill to the east of Nice centre was once the site of a castle, and is now a nicely maintained park where it is pleasant to stroll. It is from here that you get the best overall view across the rooftops of Nice.
and much more besides.
The downside, as you see from the picture, is that the seafront itself – especially in central Nice, can become just a teensy bit crowded and it might not always be easy for your children to run around as much as they might like on the beach…but that doesn't deter the millions of visitors who come to Nice and I hope it won't deter you either. It is my favourite coastal resort in France.