Biarritz is in the south-western corner of France, close to the border with Spain. There are several good reasons to visit this attractive city:
- the town itself contains very impressive grand 19th century townhouses with wrought iron balconies and other decoration, and is a pleasure to explore
- it is a lively town, where you can shop, eat and drink at all hours
- there are a few beaches close to hand, including a fine sandy one in the centre of the town
- walk along the headland in Biarritz a little way for great views both along the coast, and across the old fishermen village
- close proximity to the western Pyrenees, so you can escape into typical Basque villages if town life becomes too much for you after a day or two
- the great long sandy surfing beaches of the Atlantic are close to hand, and Biarritz itself has a high reputation as a surfing capital of Europe
One of our favourite cities of southern France, with a faded elegance that only adds to its charm, a visit to Biarritz is highly recommended.